Monday, October 18, 2010

Phantom Limb

Wow. Today's anatomy lab was so awesome I had to write about it immediately. But first things first. My parents came up this weekend; I gave them a tour of the new medical campus and then we spent most of the remaining time shopping and eating. I also took them to watch The Social Network, which sparked quite a bit of discussion... I think they enjoyed it. They spent the night at my apartment and then headed back home after breakfast on Sunday.

And now for today. In the morning there was a 2 hour histology lecture on elements of the male reproductive system, followed by an interesting clinical correlation presented by a local gynecologist. He showed us pictures and videos of various unique (and often bizarre) cases he has encountered, and showed us how most of our lecture material is applied to real world situations. In the afternoon was our anatomy lab, and it was intense. The majority of the lab was spent removing an entire leg from our cadaver at the pelvis. this involved sawing the pelvis in half through the midline, from the perineum all the way up to the bellybutton level. I then made a horizontal cut from just above the hip towards the first cut at the bellybutton. This allowed for total removal of that leg, and made it possible to examine the pelvis in cross-section, which was the goal of the lab. It was pretty intense and it was amusing to see some of the methods other tanks used to accomplish this task. This has definitely been my favorite lab session so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment